Upcoming Elections - Information
CITY OF RED OAK - GENERAL ELECTION
Saturday, May 5, 2018
- February 16, 2018 - Last day to file for a place on the ballot (by 5:00 p.m.)
Each person who becomes a candidate for Mayor or Councilmember shall meet the following qualifications:
- be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be a qualified voter of the City;
- reside and have resided for at least twelve (12) months preceding the election within the corporate limits of the City;
- no candidate may file for more than one office or position number per election;
- no employee of the City shall continue in such position after becoming a candidate for an elective office.
To ensure the election process is transparent, fair, and open to all, please refer to the resources below, or contact the City Secretary:
- Ellis County Elections Administration is responsible for voter registration and conducting all federal, state, and county elections and certain elections for municipalities, independent school districts and other political subdivisions that contract with Ellis County for elections services. Additional information may be obtained at 972-825-5195 or www.co.ellis.tx.us.
- Secretary of State serves as the Chief Election Officer for the state of Texas, assisting county election officials and ensuring the uniform application and interpretation of election laws through the state. This office may be contacted at 800-252-VOTE (8683) or 512-463-5650 or via www.sos.state.tx.us. The Texas Secretary of State created VoteTexas.gov to provide election information such as where to vote, what to bring, what the process is like, and much more, in a user-friendly format.
- Texas Ethics Commission provides guidance to candidates and political parties to maintain equality for all involved in the election process. The Commission may be contacted at 512-463-5800 or www.ethics.state.tx.us.